Vivsco.com

Nigerians Demand Probe of Buratai, other former Chiefs.

A cross-section of Nigerians on Tuesday has demanded the probe and trial of the previous Chief of Defence Chief, General Abayomi Olonisakin; former Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Tukur Buratai; former Chief of Naval Staff, vice admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas; and former Chief of Air Staff, air marshal Sadique Abubakar, for alleged abuse of office.

Nigerians particularly said the army chief, Buratai, and his colleagues must appear before the International court , The Hague, Netherlands, to answer of several massacres within the country under his watch with the foremost recent being October 2020 Lekki soldiers’ shooting where a disputable number of civilian protesters were killed and injured.


President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday appointed new service chiefs, finally letting go of the four military chiefs.

Although Buhari said on Tuesday that he accepted their resignation letters, the Defence Headquarters, Abuja, already clarified in the past that the military chiefs couldn't resign and had to be laid off by the Commander-In-Chief.

Buhari had on July 13, 2015, appointed Olonisakin, Buratai, Ibas, and Abubakar.

In a State House release on Tuesday, Buhari’s Special Adviser, Femi Adesina, said the new service chiefs were; Major-General Leo Irabor as the CDS, Major-General Ibrahim Attahiru as the army chief, rear admiral A.Z Gambo as the naval chief and Air-Vice Marshal I.O Amao as the new air chief.

Nigerians on Twitter noted that it had been not enough that Buratai and other military chiefs were replaced, they need to appear before the ICC, Hague to account criminal charges against them while in office.

Somto Onuchukwu (@chosensomto) said, “Goodbye Buratai, the evil you have done is enough. You can’t retire well, I hope @IntlCrimCourt convicts you for #ZariaMassacre #LekkiMassacre #OrluMassacre #oyigboMassacre #AbujaMassacre

Ayemojubar (@ayemojubar) tweeted, “Dear @IntlCrimCourt, Buratai is now available. 

“Dear Buratai, the sport is not yet over, and don't think your ‘retirement’ will pardon you from the evil you probably did as the Chief of Army Staff.”

Jackson Ude (@jacksonpbn) said, “Finally, General Buratai and his gang of criminals are sacked. the general turned snake farmer would now skills it feels without the guns. Ndi ara!”

Fakhrriyyah (@FakhuusHashim) said: “I hope Buratai stands trial for the various atrocities he’s liable for . From Zaria to Lekki. To the stark deprivation of resources at the frontlines within the NE.”

As more reactions pour in from Nigerians, it'll be recalled that the Boko Haram terrorists also as roaming bandits had intensified their fatal attacks since January 2020 across the country, with the military seeming helpless to curtail the attacks. 

The terrorists are abducting schoolchildren, aid workers and residents – a number of whom are still in captivity.

Hundreds of soldiers have also died within the Boko Haram insurgency war due to alleged ineptitude of the military chiefs.

On January 21, 2020, eight soldiers were reportedly killed during a battle with the Boko Haram insurgents in Kaga, Borno. 

The insurgents had disguised and moved in a police vehicle towards a military base, before opening fire on unsuspecting soldiers near their trench. this is often just one of several other heavy casualties the Nigerian military have suffered within the hands of the insurgents.

Post a comment

0 Comments